Search This Blog

Monday, December 11, 2017

#15 - Top 25 Christmas Songs (According To Me!)

Happy Monday, everyone!  And Happy Day #11 in the POP CULTURE ADDICT'S ADVENT CALENDAR!

We're counting down the list of my favourite 25 Christmas tunes from now until Christmas Day, and I have to say that for today's song, we're going to be sticking with tradition and posting a song that I guarantee that most of you are going to know.  But before we do that, let's have a bit of a look at the list so far.  I won't do this every day, but enough so that those who are just joining us can keep up.

The list thus far is...

25.  Here We Come A-Wassailing Medley
24.  Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
23.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
22.  Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
21.  Merry Christmas Everyone
20.  Step Into Christmas
19.  Same Old Lang Syne
18.  O Christmas Tree
17.  The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)
16.  Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy

For song #15, I thought that I would stick with tradition, and introduce you to a fella that knows all about how magical and beautiful the winter season can be.  After all, he's made of Christmas snow, which is the most magical and potent of all the snowfalls. 

Or, at least that's what Rankin-Bass told me.



Yes, Frosty the Snowman, the snowman with the jolly happy soul, corn cob pipe, a button nose, and two eyes made out of coal is the subject of the Christmas song countdown for today.  And in honour of the television special, I've selected the version as sung by Jimmy Durante way back in 1969!



Of course, that wasn't the original version - just the one that I loved the best.  No, the original version was performed by country singer Gene Autry and the Cass Country Boys in 1950, and over the past sixty plus years, it has become one of the holiday favourites sung by elementary school choirs all over the globe. 

Well, okay, maybe they don't sing it in Australia as it never snows down there on Christmas Day.  But it's still quite a popular tune.



I have to admit that the 1969 Rankin-Bass special was part of the reason why I love the song so much (particularly Jimmy Durante's version).  It takes me back to a time in which I was a child, and when I built my own version of Frosty (except mine never came to life).  It reminds me of how much I loved Hocus Pocus the bunny rabbit, and how much I didn't like Professor Hinkle, and how it was impossible for Karen to make it to the North Pole and be back in time for dinner the same night but yet we suspended belief because of Christmas magic.  Ah, good times.

I also like the song a lot because as a five year old child, it was really the only Christmas tune where I could sing along and not screw up the words.  Believe me, it was a big deal to me.



I love the song so much that I even bought a Frosty the Snowman ornament to hang on my Christmas tree!  Isn't he cute?



Oh, and here's the video for today's song choice.  Hope you enjoy!

We are almost halfway through the countdown and tomorrow we will be one step closer as we post a song by a 70s pop group that made an impact on the Cashbox charts - as well as in my own family get togethers.

No comments:

Post a Comment