Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Randomness on a Friday Morning...



I know what most of you must be thinking.  Today is Friday, and this is the time of the week when I am supposed to be talking about a television show, a television character in a television show, or just something related to the world of television.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely in the mood to do that this morning at all.  I did have a topic selected for today, but I think what I will do is wait until next Friday to discuss it.  It's my blog, and I can do that.  Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

Instead, I want to take this opportunity to tell you all how grateful I am to all of you who have supported this venture (and continue to support it) over the last sixteen months.  If it wasn't for your appreciation, your viewing, and your actual interest in my thoughts on pop culture and other various things, I certainly wouldn't have the motivation to keep bringing you a brand new blog topic each and every day.  

Granted, there have been a couple of missteps along the way.  Occasionally, I have posted information in my blog that hasn't been one hundred per cent correct.  But thankfully, I have a great group of friends who tend to double as my fact checkers who assist me in keeping this blog one hundred per cent accurate.

(Well...okay...maybe 99.9% accurate.  Nobody's perfect.)


I also admit that I have made a few spelling and grammatical errors.  This one is a bit harder for me to admit to, as I tend to be one step away from being a full-fledged Grammar and Spelling Nazi myself.  But thankfully, I have friends who will point out (albeit in a joking and sarcastic manner) when I have made a typing error, and I am very appreciative of that because the last thing that someone who is a step away from being a Grammar and Spelling Nazi wants is to have spelling and grammatical errors in the very thing that they are trying to write.

I usually get positive feedback with most of the topics that I have chosen.  Some get loads of views, while others I am lucky if one person other than myself take a gander at it.  But I am proud of each and every topic I choose, because you never know what sorts of discussions that might pop up.  I remember getting into a very spirited conversation with someone on my Facebook page about the "Big Comfy Couch", and I was so inspired by that conversation that I turned it into a blog entry!  

So, be warned...the next time you have a conversation with me, it might end up in the blog!

There are some topics that I have brought up that have generated mild controversy, and I admit that there were minor scuffles between my friends and I over the subject matter, as well as my opinion.  But I think that one of the greatest things about this is the fact that whenever something happens where we end up mad at each other, we're always willing to hear the other person out and come to a compromise about where we stand.  I appreciate the fact that some people have called me out on something that they might not have agreed with, and had a talk about it with me.  It helped me out a lot because it helped me take constructive criticism a lot better...but I think it also helped me understand how to handle conflict resolution.

As far as I am concerned, there is no feeling more frustrating then when you have a conflict with someone, you have absolutely no idea what it is that you have done wrong, and when you try to open up a dialogue with them, they don't even so much as respond to you.  It's a feeling that I wish none of you had to experience.

I know that in my life and times, I have had several friendships end because the other person wasn't willing to hear me out, and vice versa.  In fact, I suppose one can say that I am currently in a situation exactly like this one, which does explain why I have decided to write about it here instead of talking about a television program.  I guess maybe by writing it out and seeing it in print will help me understand what the next step is in the situation.  

As much as I don't want to end any of the friendships that I have lost as a result of no communication from one of the two parties...sometimes, it might just be the only option that might bring both of us peace of mind.  

But, as far as I'm concerned, if one of the parties in a friendship still has communication barriers up, then I would think that trying to re-establish a connection would be quite difficult...maybe even impossible.  It sucks to have to admit that , but sometimes you also have to realize that in situations like this, it is completely out of your control.  

And sometimes, that's how life is.  Sometimes you can put so much effort into something, and it still doesn't work out the way you want it to.  And, sometimes, you just have to make the choice as to whether something is worth saving.  I'll admit that the choice for me is a hard one...and sometimes I still second guess my decisions.  At the end of the day, at least I can give myself some credit for trying. It is of small comfort, but it is a start.

I'll be back next Friday with a look back on a television show.  For now, enjoy the rest of your Friday, everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Matt! You can't please everyone. Hey there's a post for you: Garden Party song? "I'm all right now/Learned my lesson well/You can't please everyone/So you gotta please yourself."

    Looking forward to your regularly scheduled posts!

    ReplyDelete